Tilla Jogian is a historic and gorgeous place in Jehlum Distruct. Tilla Jogian have been a Hindu Jogies centre for at least 2000 years. This complex was established in 1st BCE. It was founded by Guru Gorakhnath. Thousands of years ago it was a place of sun worship which changed into place of worship for Hindus. At the time of partition it was known as “Tilla Gorakh-Nath” but now it is known as “Tilla Jogian”. It has relation with Punjabi folk persona Rangha. Founder of Sikh religion “Baba Guru Nanak” had also association with Tilla Jogian. Emperor Akbar, Jahangir, Sher Shah Suri and many other has visited there.
It is a Hindu temple located on the summit of Tilla Jogian in Salt Ranges. Tilla Jogian is situated in 25 km west of the Jehlum city on Grand Trunk Road. It is near the Jehlum River, Katas Raj Temples and Rohtas Fort. From sea level its height is about 1000 meters. Because of this height it has cooler climate. The site was considered the most important pilgrimage place for hindu jogis before the Partition of India in 1947. It was home of hundreds of jogies before partition.
Tilla Jogian firing range is also used for testing of missile and other heavy weapons of Pakistan Army. Ghuri Missile was also tested there.
Guru Nanak stayed here for 40 days while he was coming back from Ketas Raj Temples, in the early 1500. Mughal Emperor Akbar visited the “Shrine of Balnath” twice in four years. In 17th century emperor Jahangir also visited this place. After Mughal rule Ahmad Shah Abdali and Pashtun sacked and looted this temple. In 19th century Maharaja Rangit Singh constructed a stone-lined pond and a monument exact at the spot where Guru Nanak is said to have usually mediated. During British Raj, in the last of 19th century local deputy commissioner built a bungalow at the site to accommodate the deputy commissioner and his staff during the month of April to August when the administration shifted to the cool hill place.
In 1748 Afghan chieftain Ahmad Shah Abdali sacked and looted the monastery.
Heer Ranjha is famous romantic folk story of the Punjab.it is said that Ranjha became a Jogi when he discovered the Tilla (hill) of Jogi Gorakhnath while he was wandering the villages in a state of despair and heart-break.
At the time of partition of India Hindu people shifted to new India and left the temple place abandoned, which is still ignored because Muslims people have no interest in such activities and it is also against the religion of Islam. Sumandnath Jogi was the last priest here at the time of Partition in 1947. When the riots erupted local official appointed a police escort for jogi to safely reach the local train station. Jogi also instructed the local official to ask deputy commissioner to auction off the belongings of temple if the jogi did not return within 6 months.
There is a track to go up the hill from BAITH VILLAGE. Some visitors use bikes to reach at mountain height, 4 by 4 vehicles also can go up. There are some other ways to reach the top all start from Baith village of Jehlum but these paths are very hard to travel. You can access Baith village entering from Rohtas Fort or Domeli side. From Rohtas Fort although road is not good but a car can reach BAITH VILLAGE. You can park your car in any local house, if the owner of house is agree for it. It will take more than 2 to 3 hours to reach on the top.
This is forest area, birds, reptiles and few animals are also live there in this forest. Forest department has built a motel on the top but you need to make an advance reservation for it. Winter season till March is best to go there. In hot season there will be lot of problem of drinking water. Few water bottles are not enough because is very difficult to climb up.